October 1, 2010

Glengarry Cap Crochet Pattern from Godey's Lady's Book



Glengarry caps (or Glengarry Bonnets,) have been thought to have been worn by the Scottish military since 1794. In the mid-1800s, the hat was adopted by men and young boys in England.  By the time of the American Civil War, it was a popular civilian hat for men, children and ladies, copied from the 1850s English fashions.



During the 1860s the fashion caps were commonly made out of velvet or stiff cloth. Checked or contrasting colored solid bands were common. They were sometimes decorated with feathers and cockades. You can learn to make very beautiful cockades at American Duchess. When made correctly, the cap should have a dip in the middle of the top.









This crochet pattern from Godey's Lady's Book (1861) was previously published in London in 1853.


If I ever learn to crochet, this looks like such a cute hat to make. It looks like it might be a good started project after I practice "granny squares." Crochet is still a complete mystery to me, knitting makes perfect sense. Has anyone ever made this hat? I'd love to see what it looks like all finished. I love green, I think this would look so cute in the winter. I love the look of crochet beanies that people wear to school, this is like a quirky twist.

I've been itching to finish knitting my sontag but I can't bring myself to pay the $4.00 shipping on one ball of yarn so I have to put it on hold. The ladies over at The Lady's Guide for Re-enactresses, suggest recycling sweaters for inexpensive yarn. I love that you get cheap yarn and recycle at the same time. Look at this pretty sontag they made out of thrifted yarn! The nice thing is you can read the tags and find 100% wool yarn. How cool. So, all of you crocheters, is this hat easy enough for a beginner?



**Please remember to enter my contest, the drawing will be held on October 5th!**

6 comments:

  1. Oh, what cunning hats! I do think they would be relatively easy for a beginning. The thing about crochet is that once you have someone *show* you at least a few times, then you can pick it up pretty quickly fairly easily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sophia, I tried to crochet last night and I am boggled that someone figured out how to crochet in the first place. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! You're the winner of Les Miz Week. To get your prize, can you please send me your address so I can send it you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. About recycling yarn; I've found one needs to check the inside of the sweater for if they have used a serger sewing machine to put the seams together. If the shoulder and neck is attached this way that's not too bad, but if the sides and under arm seams are it's not worth taking apart as the serger cuts the yarn as it sews. I've found several wool sweaters with hand stitched seams at thrift stores one being made into a sontag at this moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rondi, That's a really good point, I hadn't thought of that. It's so cool you are making a sontag, I'd love to see it when you are done.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

Copyright © 2008-2020 Stephanie Ann Farra. All rights reserved.

All materials posted on this site are subject to copyrights owned by Stephanie Ann Farra. Any reproduction, retransmissions, or republication of all or part of any document found on this site is expressly prohibited, unless the author has explicitly granted its prior written consent to so reproduce, retransmit, or republish the material. All other rights reserved.